We Tracked down the Best Electric Roaster Ovens of 2017
The oven is without doubt one of the most important appliances a kitchen should have. Many delicious recipes prepared in virtually all kitchens require some form of roasting, baking, or elaborate cooking that can only be done on an oven.
However, turning the oven on and going through the preheating process every time you want to cook or heat a little amount of food is sometimes a bit tedious if not time consuming.
It is even more of a burden when you want to roast two different types of food with different temperatures and cooking times.
This is probably why someone had the good sense to invent the electric roaster oven.
The electric roaster oven is actually a small mini oven that you can place on your kitchen bench, plug into a power socket, and make a delicious roast in the shortest time possible.
This simple but quite versatile appliance does almost everything your conventional oven does. It is portable and very flexible as well.
Why You Need an Electric Roaster Oven
Why do you need one of these handy appliances?
Well, the question should rather be: how have you managed to do without one for this long?
The electric roaster oven is just the right appliance to have when the conventional oven is not enough to make that surprise birthday cake, or a mouthwatering roast for your dinner.
It is also ideal for people with small kitchen spaces.
The electric roaster saves you time and energy costs. If you opted to use the large conventional oven for every small roasting task then you know how high your energy bills can skyrocket.
Conventional ovens are known to dry up your food when left inside the oven for a long period of time. This is not an issue with the electric roaster, which locks in steam from your food to keep it succulent all day long.
It keeps food warm eliminating the need to reheat the food every now and then. Constant reheating of food dries up the food and even kills its nice flavour.
You know how hot and uncomfortable the kitchen becomes after you turn on the large conventional ovens, especially on a hot day. The electric roaster is the solution to overheated kitchens when the oven is in use.
It's also portable which means you can even take it outside and prepare your delicious roasts in a cool and airy environment.
Unlike the bulky oven, this one is easy to clean. It can even be dishwasher friendly, in some cases.
As the world turns to healthy eating principles, the electric roaster oven has become more of a necessity than a luxury item in most kitchens.
How to Choose The Best Electric Roaster Oven
Once you discover how easy and convenient it is to use an electric roaster oven, you’ll definitely want to invest in the best electric roaster you can afford to buy. However, this will not be an easy task since the market is full of different types and models.
You’ll be overwhelmed by what is currently available and may be confused on which model exactly meets you needs.
While we're going to go in-depth on how to choose one, here's a quick overview in the form of a comparison chart, to give you a basic idea of what's out there.
Oster CKSTRS23-SB 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid
Rival RO180 18-Quart Roaster Oven
Hamilton Beach 32229 22-Quart Roaster Oven
Oster CKSTRS18-BSB 18-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid
Proctor Silex 32230A Stainless Steel Roaster Oven
To help you make an even more informed decision, here are some of the key factors you’ll need to consider to ensure you get good value for money when shopping for one of these roaster ovens.
Honestly, the technology used in electric roaster ovens should not be your main consideration although it is worth checking to ensure you get the real thing.
Many of these small ovens use electrical heating elements to convert electrical energy to heat energy and thereby help you to cook food faster and more efficiently.
Make sure the oven works on this principle to avoid buying less efficient imitations.
Size is an important factor to consider when shopping for an electric roaster and it could mean two things.
The first is the overall size of the appliance. This is about the amount of space the roaster will take on your kitchen bench and how easy it will be to store it away when not in use.
Physical size of an electric roaster oven is measured in quarts. A large roaster measures 22 quarts while a small one is around 10 quarts or less.
The second aspect to consider, as far as size is concerned is the total amount or capacity of the food the roaster can roast at one time.
For reasons we are still to comprehend, the size of food this appliance can roast is measured in what is known as turkeys, probably because the bird happens to be everyone’s favourite choice of roast food.
If you are one of those people who love roasting a whole turkey at once, make sure to read the roaster’s specifications well to find out if a large turkey will fit inside the small oven.
The electric roaster will indicate what size of turkey it can handle, which will give you a basic idea of how much of other foods it can roast at one time.
A good roaster should have a size between a 20 pound and a 30 pound turkey.
One of the key things to look for in a roaster oven is the type of thermo controllers it uses.
A good one should have an automatic or, at the very least, a variable manual thermal control system.
If you choose a manual variable thermal system ensure that the heating segments are clearly labeled on the panel close to the regulator. They are usually marked from 150 to 450 degrees F.
In case you go for the automatic thermal control system, ensure that the LED indicators or the timer settings work perfectly. The system should be able to shut down the oven as soon as the heat timing you set is over.
Cook Well Material
Find out what type of cook well materials the roaster oven uses.
Most electric roaster ovens use removable enamel material set on steel. The cook well material basically enables even distribution of heat in the electric roasters. It also ensures there is sufficient heat retention.
The cook well material should also be dishwasher safe. Most enamel on steel cook well materials are however easy to clean with or without a dishwasher.
The lid of the oven can either make or break your perfectly prepared roast.
Check the size of the lid before purchase. If you plan to be roasting whole turkeys most of the time, go for a machine with a high domed lid that allows more volume inside. There are many brands that provide high domed lids.
There are many roasters on the market today that simply provide the basic function of roasting, cooking, and baking.
There are others that come with additional functions. For instance, some actually serve as a smoker with the right attachments or even have a “keep warm” function that allows your food to say warm for hours. Some will even have extra hot settings for browning your roasts.
A roaster that does all the basic functions and can still brown and keep your food warm saves you time and efforts.
Electric roaster ovens come in different shapes but most are square, round or oval. The shape you choose will depend on your personal preference but ideally pick one without sharp corners inside. Ovens with round interior shapes are easy to clean.
The rack and the handle
A good electric roaster oven should come with a heat resistant handle.
You can choose any design of handle you desire but ensure it is heat resistant and with enough holding space. This is for your personal safety.
The roaster should also come with racks to prevent the turkey’s underside from getting either too dry or too wet. When the turkey is placed on a rack, air circulates evenly inside the oven. The rack even helps you collect the spicy juice from the roasting turkey and use it to make sauce.
The roaster’s style and color
Style and color will actually depend on your personal taste but you may want to choose a color that matches with the color scheme of your kitchen’s interior. A nice roaster should have a heat resistant coating too.
Like everything else you buy, make sure to ask about the roaster’s warranty or guarantee as provided by the manufacturer. This is basically because of quality issues that may arise after you have bought the roaster at a later date. Make sure the appliance comes with a warranty.
Finally, read reviews about the machine from other users
Before you settle on a given model or brand, visit a few consumer forums and reviews online to learn as much about the product as possible. Find out what others are saying about it. You’ll get a general idea about the product and about the company too.
The Best Electric Roaster Ovens of [ecp code="year"]
Based on the factors discussed above and a few more quality issues, we have compiled a list of the best roasters on the market today to help you find one that suits your needs.
The products vary in price and features. Keep the factors we have discussed in mind and choose one that matches your unique needs and budget.
#1 - The Oster CKSTRS23-SB 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid
- Has a large size and an ample volume to cook bigger portion meals
- It is easy to clean after use and maintain
- Reduces cooking time significantly
- A great appliance for different types of cooking including baking and roasting
- Can be used to serve meals too
- Easy to transport
- Reasonably priced
We Don't Like:
- It gets hot while cooking and may not be safe near children
- Some users have claimed the enamel on steel chipping off but this is probably a poor maintenance issue
Appearance: Stainless steel
- Has a capacity of 22 quarts and can roast up to a 26 pound turkey
- Comes in a stainless steel finish
- Has a self-basting lid that saves you time, energy and heat
- You no longer have to manually baste with this roaster. It prevents loss of heat and reduces cooking time.
- It comes with removable enamel on steel pan which gives an even distribution of heat and is extremely easy toc lean.
- Has a steel roasting rack
- It can handle all your baking needs, including muffins and cakes.
The Oster 22 Quart does all your roasting, baking, and slow cooking in perfection.
It is designed with an efficient self-basting lid that ensures your food stays warm, moist, and delicious.
It is a self contained roaster that uses the steam emanating from your cooking to preserve juices and flavour that your family or guests will truly love.
It is a great appliance for preparing large holiday dinners due to its ample 22 quart and 26 lb turkey volume.
It'll help you free up space in your kitchen and it comes with variable temperature control dial sets. It has a cooking temperature range of between 150 and 450 degrees F.
It comes with removable enamel on steel pan and a handy roasting rack too. It has a beautiful design with a stainless steel finish that'll match with almost every kitchen décor.
#2 - Rival RO180 18-Quart Roaster Oven
- It is a great appliance to have as a second oven
- Saves time and energy
- Has variable temperature settings
- Easy to clean up after use
- Comes in an attractive design and white color
- It is affordably priced
- It is a versatile and reliable product with one year warranty
We Don't Like:
- It has a short power cord. You have to place it close to the power outlet
- Doesn’t have an indicator light
- Heats up when cooking and is best kept safely away from children
- This is an 18 quart roaster that can bake, roast, cook, and used to serve meals
- Has removable enamel on steel pan for easy cleaning
- Comes with a removable steel roasting rack
- Can accommodate large roasts of up to 18 lb turkey size
- Has safe to use stay-cool handles
- Temperature adjustable from 150 to 450 degrees F
- Comes with a one year warranty
This 18 quart roaster oven comes at an affordable price of around $40. It is a popular item in many kitchens especially because of its versatility. It can roast, bake, cook, and even be used for serving. It is designed in a convenient and compact size that does not take up too much space in your kitchen. It is a great appliance for someone with limited kitchen space. It cooks 30% faster and uses 77% less energy than your conventional oven.
#3 - Hamilton Beach 32229 22-Quart Roaster Oven
- Large enough to prepare full meals
- Can be used for a variety of purposes such as cooking, roasting, baking, and serving
- You can even use its grill to warm up bread without worrying about burning
We Don't Like:
- The roaster’s exterior heats up a bit. It’s best kept away from children while in use
Appearance: Stainless steel
- This is a portable 22 quart roaster oven
- Quite versatile as it can roast, cook, bake, and used for serving meals
- Has a simple control knob
- Comes with adjustable heat of up to 450 degrees F
- Features a removable lid and pan
- Has a lift-out wire rack
- Safe cool-touch side handles
- The housing is made of sleek stainless steel
- It is easy to clean
- Comes with a user manual with recipes included
- One year warranty
This roaster has a nice traditional design and a rectangular pan. It has a large rack that can easily be lifted out. Its flat lid fits neatly on the roaster’s top to allow you a full 22 quart capacity. This is the roaster to have for a large entrée as it can roast meat and still retain steam for a moist delicious meal. It is quite versatile too as it can roast, bake, cook, and be used for serving too. Its temperature controls are very precise eliminating the need for guesswork. You can count on this great roaster from a leading brand, Hamilton, to make fantastic meals.
#4 - Oster CKSTRS18-BSB 18-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid
- Has a large size to handle up to a 22 pound turkey easily
- Has a low setting that ensures your food stays at the right temperature without further cooking
- Is affordably priced with a host of features only found in other, higher priced models.
We Don't Like:
- A few users claimed the thermostat is a little off so you have to watch the dishes closely
- Bits of food may stick to the liners but the liner is removable for easy clean up afterwards
Appearance: Black finish
- Ample sized at 18 Qt
- Can roast up to a 22 pound turkey
- Has a self-basting lid that saves you time, energy, and heat
- Its self-basting property eliminates the need to baste manually
- Locks in heat and reduces cooking time
- Comes with removable enamel on steel pan for fast roasting, even distribution of heat, and easy clean up
- Comes with a steel roasting rack
This black roaster stands out among the rest of the white and stainless steel designed electric roaster ovens. It is a nice gloss colour that suits any modern styled kitchen. It has a large size to suit all sorts of cooking, roasting, and baking activities. It also features a removable liner that makes cleaning a breeze. It even bakes just like your traditional oven does but with faster times and less energy usage. This is a nice roaster to have when entertaining guests at short notice.
#5 - Proctor Silex 32230A Stainless Steel Roaster Oven
- It is not just for roasting turkey but can cook and bake other meals too
- It is best for steaming delicious food for a crowd
- Fits perfectly on your kitchen counter leaving enough space for other uses
- Comes with optional accessories for your buffet including three 2 quart serving sections on the enamel coated buffet pan
- Keeps your food warm even when the oven is turned off
We Don't Like:
- The unit gets hot on the outside when in use and may even cause burns when touched
Appearance: Stainless steel
- Has a beautiful stainless steel design
- Can bake, roast, cook, and serve meals
- Comes with a removable pan
- Has a convenient lift-out rack
- It is perfect for holiday cooking
- Amply sized with 22 Qt roasting capacity
The Proctor Silex 22 Quart electric roaster oven frees up your oven space and still makes delicious holiday meals just as your traditional oven does with less energy consumption and faster cooking times.
It roasts turkeys faster than the traditional ovens. In fact a 14 to 18 pounds turkey cooks in this roaster oven in as little as two and a half hours.
This countertop roaster not only does roasting but has a myriad of other features, too. It can bake a cake, cook stews, steam your vegetables, and keep your food warm for hours.
It has adjustable temperature control settings from 150 to 450 degrees F. While roasting, it keeps your food moist and tender retaining the flavour and nutrients at the same time. Its removable rack keeps the delicious juices from your roast intact.
You can use this roaster oven to bake your favourite pies, cakes, casseroles, and breads faster and more conveniently than in a traditional oven. The roaster fits either a 9 by 13 inch pan or two 9 by 5 inch loaf pans. It even fits a Bundt pan quite easily.
It has an attractive stainless steel design that will enhance the look of any kitchen countertop or buffet table. It is easy to clean and the removable insert pan lid as well as the rack can be cleaned in hot soapy water.
In this age of energy crises and fast depletion of energy resources, it pays to employ energy efficient means of food preparation in our kitchens. The electric roaster oven is by far the most energy efficient means of roasting, baking, and cooking food.
It not only saves energy but time and cost too. It can cook many types of dishes at a go, while preserving the natural goodness of food at the same time.
The roaster oven is durable and comes in a stylish design that matches almost every kitchen décor. It is easy to clean and does not take up much space in the kitchen unlike the traditional oven.
The electric roaster oven’s merits far outweigh those of a conventional oven. However, when shopping for a good roaster oven, take time to compare features, benefits, and prices to ensure you get one that meets your needs and budget.